Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation bispecific and multifunctional biotherapeutics, initially focused on the treatment of cancer. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
Zymeworks is seeking a strategic, seasoned communications professional who is looking to grow her or his career at a people-centric, mission-driven, rapidly evolving company. The Director, Corporate Communications is responsible for all internal and external corporate communications, ensuring consistent messaging in order to build global awareness of the company, its mission, culture, and innovative product portfolio. S/he will collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team and internal Functional Leads, and will partner closely with the Senior Director, Corporate Affairs and Investor Relations, to develop and implement communications strategies that reinforce the company’s strategy and opportunities. S/he will possess a strong work ethic and a commitment to excellence and innovation.
This position will report to the Senior Director, Corporate Affairs and will be based in either Vancouver BC or Seattle, WA.
- Lead the development of all external communications strategies, programs and materials designed to elevate corporate objectives, products and pipeline, and brand awareness.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to Senior Leadership Team regarding communications strategies and tactics, ensuring alignment with company’s long-term strategy
- Lead, draft and deliver external communications for the company including key messages, press releases, Q&As, corporate and technology backgrounders, etc., using a variety of methods, channels and technologies consistent with best-in-class practices and Zymeworks’ culture.
- Oversee the media relations function, including developing strategies tailored to each event or announcement, serving as the primary media contact, and building and maintaining strong relationships with journalists and reporters
- Ensure all corporate spokespeople are media trained and create media interview briefing documents as required.
- Partner with CEO to develop high-impact CEO communications, town hall content and other communication initiatives.
- Identify and coordinate opportunities for increased executive visibility (such as panel participation and presentations, i.e., BIO).
- Partner with key internal functions, including investor relations, clinical/R&D, medical affairs, business development and human resources, to identify key milestones and corporate inflection points and develop communications plans to leverage them.
- Provide support and counsel to internal business leaders on their communication strategies and content
- Lead and innovate programs to ensure company-wide communications alignment by collaborating cross-functionally
- Play a significant role in risk management by developing proactive and reactive corporate communications strategies to address issues that may affect the business reputation, including establishing protocols for crisis management
- Develop, implement and maintain appropriate metrics to monitor corporate visibility, external reputation, and impact of all communications efforts
- Assists with establishing department goals, plans, processes and budgets.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of 10 years successful work experience in Corporate Communications or Public Relations roles; advanced scientific degree (PharmD, MD, or PhD) a plus.
- Direct experience leading Corporate Communications and developing communications strategies at a biotech company is preferred
- Outstanding written, verbal, and presentation skills with proven track-record of translating complex scientific and clinical concepts into powerful corporate messages
- Established relationships and credibility with biopharma journalists and local and national business media, with demonstrated skill in achieving high-impact placements
- Proven ability to work effectively and confidently at the C-suite level, managing tight deadlines and executing under pressure
- Strong collaborative skills with proven success influencing external and internal groups, contributing to cross functional teams and coordinating with PR agencies and vendors
- Understanding of FDA and SEC regulations impacting communications
- Highly independent and motivated with the ability to think strategically and execute tactically in a fast-paced environment
- Advanced knowledge of multi-media communications platforms
- Detail-oriented with proven ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage complex projects.
- Must be flexible and excited to adapt to a fast-paced, fast-growing company
Why Work for Us?
Innovation. Act with Integrity. Collaboration. Care
We come from many countries, cultures, races, ethnicities, abilities and nationalities. We bring our passions including singing, biking, swimming, dancing, cooking, volunteering, parenting, coaching and much more! We are proud of our nearly equal balance of men and women and strengthened by our non-binary and transgender team members. Every employee belongs.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at https://zymeworks.bamboohr.com/jobs/.
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: Zymeworks values our relationships with our Recruitment Partners. We will only accept resumes from those partners whom have been contracted by a member of our Human Resources team to collaborate with us. Zymeworks is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited or are received without contract.