Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
Zymeworks is seeking a highly-motivated professional who is looking to grow their career with our company.
About the Position
A modeling/simulation scientist working in the PK/QSP group within Translational Sciences will be responsible for preclinical modeling and simulation activities in support of Zymeworks pipeline projects and platform development. As a member of multidisciplinary project teams, this scientist will develop and implement quantitative mechanism-based PKPD and QSP models to enable decisions regarding target selection, target prioritization, therapeutic modality selection, protein optimization, biomarker characterization and early clinical trial design. In addition, at a broader level, this scientist will be responsible for driving and advancing the translational modeling strategy across the oncology pipeline and platform development.
This position will report to the Director, Pharmacokinetics or the Senior Scientist, Pharmacokinetics and will be based in Vancouver, BC or Seattle, WA.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Oversee PKPD and QSP modeling and simulation activities in support of the oncology pipeline projects and platform development.
• Collaborate with multidisciplinary project teams to develop and implement mechanistic mathematical models of pharmacology (PKPD and QSP) to aid in target selection, target prioritization, therapeutic modality selection, protein optimisation, biomarker characterization and early clinical trial design.
• Liaise with research biology/oncology/pharmacology/toxicology to help in the development of in-vitro assays and in-vivo models to generate data that inform pre-clinical to clinical translated PKPD models.
• Provide expert support to project teams to design, execute and interpret quantitative pharmacology and toxicology studies.
• Work across departments and other groups to share learnings and enhance consistency in best practices, disease areas, and therapeutic approaches.
• Keep up to date with emerging literature and science in the QSP modeling and simulation sciences and immuno-oncology areas.
• Build a personal track record of publication in the area of PKPD modeling and simulation and contribute to the department’s external publication/presentation goals consistent with our increased interest in PKPD/QSP.
Qualifications and Experience
• Ph.D. degree in mathematics, engineering, statistics, pharmaceutical sciences or other disciplines related to quantitative pharmacology or equivalent experience with a strong emphasis on biopharmaceutical modeling and simulation.
• Excellent understanding of theory, principles and statistical aspects of advanced mathematical modeling and simulation.
• Thorough understanding of the basic principles of pharmacokinetics (non-compartmental, compartmental, PBPK).
• In depth, hands-on knowledge of PKPD modeling and simulation software (e.g. NONMEM, Matlab, Simbiology, ADAPT, Monolix) and dataset processing and visualization (e.g. R, SAS).
• Experience working in the oncology disease area and with novel therapeutic modalities (e.g. bispecifics, cytokine-fusion proteins and other targeting agents).
• Ability to learn new areas of biological sciences and build on solid foundation of quantitative skills to develop mechanistically relevant PKPD/QSP models.
• Ability to translate/condense/summarize outcomes of modeling and simulation analyses into information that can be used by project teams.
• Ability to keep up-to-date with and propose the implementation of scientific and technological developments in the area of PKPD modeling and simulation.
• 3+ years of experience working in pharmacometrics, quantitative pharmacology, or pharmacokinetics in the oncology disease area and with novel therapeutic modalities (e.g. bispecifics, cytokine-fusion proteins and other targeting agents) is preferred.
• Pharmaceutical industry-based experience in developing and applying mechanism-based PKPD/QSP models to guide project teams from early discovery to early clinical development.
• Experience with population pharmacokinetics and exposure-response relationship analysis for clinical data.
• PKPD modeling of tumor growth dynamics for oncology indications
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at www.zymeworks.com.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: Zymeworks values our relationships with our Recruitment Partners. We will only accept resumes from those partners whom have been contracted by a member of our Human Resources team to collaborate with us. Zymeworks is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited or are received without contract.
Your application was submitted successfully.