Zymeworks is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the discovery, development and commercialization of next-generation multifunctional biotherapeutics. Zymeworks’ suite of complementary therapeutic platforms and its fully-integrated drug development engine provide the flexibility and compatibility to precisely engineer and develop highly-differentiated product candidates.
About the Position
Zymeworks is looking for a Vice President of Translational Sciences to join our Senior Management team. This executive position will lead the Pharmacokinetics, Biomarkers, Pharmacology, Toxicology, and Translational Informatics groups and is responsible for leading the transition of the organization’s drug discoveries into early stage and late stage development programs.
This position will report to the Chief Scientific Officer and Executive Vice President, Research & Development and will be based in either Seattle, WA or Vancouver, BC
In collaboration with the senior management team, develops the strategy and leads company efforts in translational sciences (transition of the organization’s drug discoveries into early stage and late stage development programs) including in vivo Pharmacology, biomarker discovery and IND enabling studies.
- Provides leadership to the PK, Biomarker, Pharmacology, Toxicology and Translational informatics groups, nurturing a culture of engagement, respect and high performance within a team environment. Provides leadership, coaching and feedback; mentors and empowers personnel.
- Develops models, both preclinical and clinical, to ensure robust decision making on developability of drug molecules in various therapeutic areas of interest.
- Conceives and executes translational strategies to support advancing discovery projects into clinical development programs; providing the link between early research and the clinical.
- Oversees design of proof of concept studies and full development for various therapeutic area programs.
- Serves as point-person accountable for translational strategy and biomarkers discovery on projects and multi-functional clinical program teams.
- Works in conjunction with the biomarker lead to plan and execute a CDx plan as appropriate.
- Develops, manages and implements operating budget for Translational Medicine, ensuring the financial resources are effectively allocated and managed to support achievement of the strategic objectives.
- Participates as a key member of Zymeworks Research Leadership team.
- Oversees the development of detailed work plans to incorporate quantitative, objective end points into clinical studies to demonstrate target engagement, pharmacodynamic regulation of pathways of interest, modulation of pharmacologic mechanism and information to aid patient selection.
Qualifications and Experience
University degree in Translational Medicine, Immunology or related field and 15+ years’ industrial experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to think holistically and long-term across a broad spectrum of industry trends and issues. Ability to envision, shape and communicate long term business objectives and priorities and be able to create competitive and break-through strategies and plans
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking abilities, forward-looking. Out-of-the-box problem solving skills
- Proven history of building relationships and fostering engagement across multiple stakeholders, including the board, senior management, operational levels, suppliers and business partners
- Exceptional leadership skills and the ability to mentor and develop strong contributors. A track record of inspiring and aligning organizations around goals and contributing as an active role model in company values
- Experience collaborating with biologists and chemists to generate in vivotarget validation data and establishing PK/PD and biomarker correlations
- Experience with identifying relevant translational disease models and applying them to meet program goals
- Multiple examples of partnering with drug discovery to identify and develop candidates
- Strong track record of meeting and exceeding goals. Demonstrated ability to drive steep change as well as incremental, continuous improvements in quality, efficiency and growth through change initiatives and vigorous leadership
- Sound business acumen with a practical, results-oriented leadership style that can translate innovate, creative strategies and conceptual thinking into action plans
- Demonstrated high level of integrity and ethics
Why Work for Us?
Zymeworks’ employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed. We are excited by the cutting-edge science and technology, the endless possibilities this union holds and the sheer opportunity to be a part of something big. To learn more about Zymeworks Inc. and our current openings, please visit our website at www.zymeworks.com.
We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance.